Leadership starts at the top with Marc Burkholder, President of Burkholder Construction.
Marc’s leadership skills became apparent early in his years as a student athlete at Traverse City High School and the University of Michigan where he was a 4 Year Football Letterman and an Academic All Big Ten student athlete. His leadership skills continued to grow as he worked his way through numerous Burkholder Construction job experiences. Marc’s leadership and drive to be the best has established him as a community leader and has enhanced Burkholder Construction’s Northern Michigan leadership position.
Greater Grand Traverse Community Leadership:
- Current President of the Home Builders Association of the Grand Traverse Area
- Current President of the U of M Club of Grand Traverse
- Two year recipient of the 40 Under 40 most influential people in the Grand Traverse Area as selected by the TC Business News
- Traverse City Area Chamber of Commerce Leadership Grand Traverse program graduate
- Member of the 4th and Goal group to complete improvements to Thirlby Field
- Assisted with securing grants for the Botanical Gardens at the Barns
Burkholder Construction Northern Michigan Builder Leadership:
- 1997 to present. Working to further develop and implement the latest processes and building science practices in unison with Green Building philosophies in all aspect of Burkholder Construction’s building standards.
- 1998 Built the first Northern Michigan Health House in cooperation with the American Lung Association. “Green Building”, much of which was in its infancy at the time, was incorporated into all aspects of the process.
- 2004 Established GreenCrest Homes, a branch of Burkholder Construction; custom home construction using a “systems building” process.
- 2009 Completed construction of the first USGBC LEED Certified Platinum Custom Home in Northern Michigan.
It’s leadership that defines how value will be created within a company. Leadership establishes the company’s culture to both embrace and accomplish the only constant of our industry which is “change”. Marc’s fresh leadership incorporated into Burkholder Construction’s long standing approach to teamwork makes adding value on a “continuous improvement” basis a reality. For example, introducing the value of “first time quality”, “in station”, is an easily understood concept within a teamwork culture. Understanding “what gets measured gets done” leads to added value through establishing a required set of measures and values. Promoting education brings new, state of the art building materials, techniques and measurements to the building process for increased value.